Monday, September 4, 2017

Writing Update #4




Before I begin on my writing update I would like to throw in a small disclaimer. This post is being written right after Camp NaNoWriMo, but you won't be seeing this until September in my attempts to get ahead of blogging. Now that we have in the clear let's jump into the update, I think I started Camp NaNoWriMo with 4,500 words. I think I mention and my most I had 6,000 which is probably what I hoped to hit before it started, which that didn't happen. July was a very busy month for me as I was getting ready for my freshman year of College. I didn't really start writing hardcore until the end of July with 3 days of Camp NaNoWriMo left. In those three days I went to 9,000 words.

My biggest problem so far when writing this particular idea was how to start it out. It took forever to figure out a way that flowed with this story. I kept starting the WIP over and over again because I didn't like the first chapter. In my head I thought if I changed the first chapter I am going to have to change everything just to keep up the flow. Reality is this is just the first draft it doesn't have to be perfect, but I think I am the point where I am not really shooting for perfection with the first draft. I just want to finish it and have a few people read to get started on the second draft.

Another I thing that I learned is the outline is a guide not something is set in stone. I finally got the beginning I like, I basically just moved a chapter to the beginning instead of where it was at. This means that one of my chapters I had no clue  what to write for. I took a look at my outline and was all worried about it not being the exact same thing. I guess this branches off the perfection that I was trying so hard to keep.

My goals going on further are very simple don't look back at the beginning of the story. Don't worry about chapter length let there be chapters that are longer than others. It is the only first draft. Word count wise I want to try to write 500 words a day. However, I leave for college in two weeks and have no clue when I will have time to write at first. If I make it into my daily routine it shouldn't be too hard to keep it in there. How did you guys do with Camp NaNoWriMo? Are you guys planning to doing NaNoWriMo in November? Please feel free to leave a comment below. Remember keep looking for your Once Upon A Time.


No comments:

Post a Comment